Statistics say that moving is one of the most stressful things you can go through. The entire process from having strangers walk round you home judging every inch to assess whether they deem it worthy of being their home right through to the moving day itself. It’s not easy trying to second-guess what new four wall you will be happy in let alone packing up 27 years of memories and belonging into cardboard boxes that you may never see for the next two weeks. Throughout the process I’ve found a few tips and tricks that have helped me to stay calm and relaxed knowing that I’ve got everything under control at least that’s what I like to think anyway ;)
- Pack the essentials – whether it be a small bag of makeup, some deodorant & body spray, your glasses & keys, a notebook to remember where everything is packed, whatever will cause you to raise the alarms if you end up loosing it, make sure you pop all those essentials into a little bag that you can throw into your handbag on the day of the move so they are never far away
- Go with movers you trust – honestly I found this to be the best part of the day. By having people we knew and trusted helping with the move it meant we felt secure in the fact our belongings were in good hands. We could leave the guys to take our things over to the new place, they set up all our beds & furniture for us and it helped to ease that stress and pressure of arriving at the new place without so much as a chair to sit down on
- Scope out the area ahead of time – if you get the chance, work out where you are moving to. Do you have a different commute to work? Where are the local shops? What is the parking like? The more you are able to answer ahead of time means that when 7pm rolls around and your stomach starts grumbling you know there is a Little Waitrose 5 mins down the road. Chicken Caesar salad come at me!
- Light a candle – this was one of the first things I did when I arrived. Moving into a new build or any house will come with scents and smells you are unfamiliar with. By lighting a few candle arounds the place you nose will start to recognise those scents which will subsequently help to put you back at ease
- Stay connected – I stand corrected, this was the best part of the day! Before moving I headed to my local Three shop to pick up one of their mobile broadband devices. Called MiFi I got a 4G connection that wirelessly allows 10 devices to connect to the internet. You pay for the device upfront then choose a monthly plan of data, as this is a temporary measure until our internet connects over I opted for a 1 month 20GB plan. Although this may seem like a frivolous thing, it meant throughout the entire process I’ve been able to stay connected, relax with Netflix and continue blogging!
- Pillow spray – the day I moved into the house there was a Neom Perfect Night’s Sleep Pillow Mist* ready and waiting. Containing English Lavender, Sweet Basil & Jasmine a spritzed this across my pillows and bedding at night to help ease that first nights sleep in new surroundings
- Remember Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day – this is something I have to remind myself daily okay hourly! I am an impatient person (blame the job) and can’t rest until I know everything is done and in it’s place. When you have 20 boxes to sift through and a new space to scope out, at times you just need to remind yourself that it will all get done, in time. It takes living time to work out a new routine, where you naturally gravitate towards needing things and your space will adapt over the next few weeks. Take a walk around the new area if you need to clear your head, but just remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither will your new place
Have you recently moved to a new place? Do you have any tips or tricks to help when settling into a new space?